Ask just about anyone you know and they will tell you that moving is extremely stressful. While most people look forward to living in an exciting new place, few look forward the actual act of moving all their belonging into the new apartment building. The stress of packing and unpacking can wear on even the most organized individuals, so we are here to provide you with a few tips to make your move just a little bit simpler.
Don’t Lose Your Security Deposit!
Prior to leaving your current apartment, you will need to thoroughly clean each room. Make sure to plan ahead so you are not overwhelmed at the last minute. Simple steps you can take to break down this monumental task are:
- Have a box or bag that you can put donation items in as you notice them.
- Plan your meals around items in your freezer that should be used for the week or two before your move
- Schedule a pickup of your donated items so you don’t have to worry about delivering them yourself.
- Take pictures of the back of your electronics for easy set up when you get to your new place.
Part of cleaning is putting the apartment back into a condition suitable for receiving your security deposit. Try some of these handy tricks to help you out:
- Wrap a rubber band across the top of your hammer so that you don’t scuff the walls when you remove any nails.
- You can remove scuff marks on a floor by cutting a tennis ball open, placing it on the end of a broom, and rubbing the marks until they disappear.
- Rub a bar of white soap over any small nail holes until they are filled in.
- Place ice cubes on dents in the carpet left by heavy furniture. As they start to melt raise the carpet fibers up with a spoon.
- Once you have emptied and cleaned the entire apartment – take photos! Save these as proof of the condition in which you left the building.
Now for one of the most dreaded parts of moving – packing everything up! While the process isn’t going to be a blast some of these packing hacks may ease the pain a bit. We’ve listed some of our best hacks for each room below.
One of the biggest concerns people have when packing up the kitchen is avoiding breaking fragile items or losing smaller pieces. Try the following:
- Keep utensils in their tray and wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap.
- Fill your pots up with loose items like spices.
- Place the lid on pots and pans and hold them on with rubber bands hooked onto the handles.
- Use kitchen towels and tablecloths as padding for breakable dishes.
- Place sharp knives into thick oven mitts and secure with a rubber band.
Bathrooms can really be a pain to pack up with so many spillable items! Check out these ideas:
- Cover the tops of bottles of liquids with plastic and the screw the lid on.
- Use garbage bags to line any boxes that you pack small items in or bottles of liquids.
- Put an X of tape over mirrors to prevent them from breaking.
- Place a cotton ball into makeup compacts to prevent breaking.
A huge task when moving your bedroom is packing up your clothes. There are a few methods for packing that could help.
- Roll your clothes and place them into drawers.
- Keep clothing on hangers and place a trash bag over the top. Secure the bag with a twist tie
- Use vacuum seal bags to store clothes you won’t need this season.
When packing up your living room organization is key.
- Use colored tape to code your packed boxes.
- Use toilet paper rolls to hold cords and prevent tangles.
- Unscrew the legs of furniture for easier transport.